Finding the right finishing equipment to put the final touches on any woodworking project is always a challenge. For finishing and coating cabinets, furniture, pallets, containers, or anything else, you need to make sure you have a consistent spray without waste (such as overspray). And there are so many brands and spray technologies to consider when making an investment in your wood finishing process. It can really be overwhelming.
The good news is Wagner and C.A. Technologies are well-known brands and offer various technologies for the wood finisher. They manufacture professional-grade finishing equipment and provide many options. Whether you’re looking for equipment to spray small jobs or just need help on a production work level they have something for everyone.
How to Choose the Right Wood Finishing Equipment
When trying to decide the best equipment for any woodworking project, it’s always good to look at the following:
- Size and quantity
- Type of material
By considering these three criteria in advance, you’ll avoid many of the purchasing pitfalls that can arise when looking to improve your wood-finishing process. When considering these topics, it’s best to look at the specific spray technologies and materials.
The most common spray technologies used for wood finishing would include low-pressure HVLP or Reduced Pressure (RP) and medium pressure Air-Assist Airless (AAA)/AirCoat options. The low-pressure HVLP and RP technologies can work well for small to large projects depending on the material supply options selected.
Medium pressure AAA/AirCoat technology is perfect for production-level finishing where the scope of work is larger, and the frequency of finishing is high. This technology offers a soft spray application similar to HVLP technology but at a much faster work speed. The finishing time and money saved on material with AAA technologies make it a very attractive option for many wood finishers.
In addition to the application portion of any spray system, there are many material supply options available for low-pressure spray equipment. These include smaller gravity or bottom-feed pressure cups to larger remote two-quart pressure cups and pressure tanks. As noted above, the best choice will depend on the size of your project, frequency, and the type of material being used. For larger projects, the remote pressure cups and tanks can help save the time typically needed for re-filling a smaller direct feed cup. In addition, these pressure feed cups also allow the finishers to spray thicker materials and, in some situations, may be a great fit for water-based finishes as some of the options offer water-resistant features to help with corrosion concerns.
3 Top Wagner and C.A. Technologies Spray Equipment
All things being equal, we have recommendations for your woodworking shop to try one of the following. Although we don’t like to play favorites, these tend to be some of the best.
C.A. Technologies Air Assist Airless (AAA) 14:1 Bobcat Peak Performance Pump – Cart-Model Setup
This AAA is an all-stainless 14:1 ratio pump for production fine finish spraying of wood or other fine finish applications. The new 14:1 Peak Performance Series pump incorporates a new completely redesigned air motor that features a stationary magnet poised for endurance and longevity.
- .33 GPM output for quick product changes with very little waste
- No-stall air motor with stationary magnet poised for endurance & longevity
- Resistant to icing
- Long-life carbon fiber cylinder
- Integrated noise suppression design for quiet operation
- Stainless steel fluid section featuring a non-contact pump tube that never wears out
- Cartridge-style piston seal & guide for quick field replacement
- Large capacity solvent cup & 360-degree fluid inlet/outlet orientation
- The upper seal is a V-Packing design for pre-cat lacquers, conversion varnish, and polyurethanes
C.A. Technologies CAT-Xpress Pressure Feed RP & HVLP Spray Gun (Spray Gun Only)
The new C.A. Technologies CAT-Xpress professional-grade, pressure feed spray gun provides fine finish atomization results for both thick and thin finishing materials like you’ve never seen before. The CAT-Xpress spray gun is perfect for all general coating types as well as water-based finishes.
- Extreme atomization, handle ergonomics & fluid delivery superior to all the competitive guns on the market today!
- Patented two-piece fluid nozzle reduces the cost of wear on parts
- Single-handed quick-adjust fan control is designed for “on the fly” work
- Full-pattern modification for parts with various size geometries
- Each CAT-Xpress is available as a “ready-to-spray” kit with multiple nozzles and needles for all types and ranges of coatings
- HVLP air cap & pressure reduced (compliant) air cap meet all codes and regulations throughout the U.S.
- Enables user to switch between two spray technologies simply by changing the air cap
C.A. Technologies Techline 2 Quart (Qt) Pressure Cup (Dual Regulators)
The Techline two-quart remote pressure cup from C.A. Technologies is simple in design and versatile in operation. This economically priced pressure cup is strong enough to hold up to daily industrial and automotive operation and is designed for easy use and cleaning.
- Top outlet cup with a 3/8” NPS male fluid outlet
- ¼” NPS male air inlet & outlet
- Dual regulators
- No pneumatic agitation (mixer)
- Brass pickup tube comes with a reusable screen
- Maximum pressure rating of 50 PSI
- Lightweight aluminum construction for more comfort and less sprayer fatigue
- Flow-through regulator with precise pressure adjustments allows the user complete control of the cup pressure to get the right amount of flow for any material
- Designed to consistently operate in many different types of environments
- Pressure relief valve enables the user to relieve the pressure in the cup quickly and efficiently
Although Wagner and C.A. Technologies have a wide variety of exceptional solutions, these are some of our favorites. If you’re in woodworking or millwork, these spray guns will carry you for smaller and larger jobs.
Lane can help
Still not certain which one is best for your project? No problem. These spray guns are just a few of our favorites. We can accommodate much larger jobs – such as providing spray booth recommendations or sprays and pumps that work together.
Lane has more than 30 years of expertise in coating and finishing systems, serving customers in the woodworking and millwork industries. Whether it’s cabinets, furniture, fences, pallets, containers, or just about any wood product that needs finishing, we can assist you. It’s why Lane has been in business more than 60 years.